SERANGOON GARDENS Ministry of Education (MOE) Singapore. July 2011 – August 2013
At SGS, I was the Art Subject Coordinator and Senior Visual Arts Teacher, responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of Visual Arts and English classes following the guidelines set out in the MOE Secondary Curriculum in conjunction with Cambridge GCSE. Also, as the Head Teacher, I took the lead of our 3 member Art team ensuring a cohesive, creative learning environment was developed both for teachers and students. During my tenure, we instituted a new planning system based on tenets of UBD, updated the curriculum and assessment strategies to balance the Study of Visual Art (SOVA) with Fine Art (Drawing and Painting) skills.
Art scores improved from a 60% pass rate in 2011 to a 100% pass and 60% distinction for N(A) levels and 100% pass and 40% distinction for O levels in 2012 and 100% pass and 50% distinction for N(A) levels and 80% pass and 40% distinction for O levels in 2013.
In 2012, works by SGS Art student were selected to be shown in the Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Student Art Collection and in 2014 3 O-Level students were selected to have their works shown in the SYF Art Show at LaSalle College of Art.
Other Involvements Included:
- 4ARTS@SGS Sub-Committee Leader heading a team of 6 for Enrichment Based Activities
- Sub Committee Leader for Arts Publicity and Awareness, instituting Sec 1 ARTS day, Arts Night Portrait Contest, collaborative Art Workshops with the International French School (IFS) .
- Head Teacher for Singapore’s Esplanade VIP project
- Art GCSE Sharing Workshop – with Cluster Schools
- Sub-Committee Leader for ‘Physical Space Project,’: with school murals, website and Art Gallery display at the Ang Mo Kio Library
- Committee Member representing the Aesthetics Department on the Innovation Committee (ICT) upgrading SGS’s website and introducing I-pad Experimental Class
- Art Research Grant for SGS to investigate the hypothesis that SOVA learning could be easily integrated into the Visual Arts classroom with a digital platform and a flipped classroom approach
- Supervising teacher for Badminton CCA. 🙂
- ‘Inspiring Teacher Award’ for the Aesthetics Department, 2012
SGS Arts Projects for 2011-2012 are featured in MOE’s Collection of School Community Art Projects!