UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO (USF) ISLP Program (with EARCOS) Master of Education, Leadership and Organization, California/EARCOS Leadership and Teachers Conferences, August 2014 – 2016
UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG (UOW) Graduate Diploma of Education, Visual Art, Wollongong, Australia, January 2005 -2006
INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECH (ITI) Diploma of Applied Information Technology, Toronto Canada, January 1998 -1999
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO (UofT) Honours Bachelor of Arts, Fine Art and Art History, Toronto, Canada, September 1991 -1996
SHERIDAN COLLEGE Diploma of Fine Art, Studio Art, Oakville, Canada, September 1991 -1994
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (WSU) Principal Certification, August 2016
ONTARIO COLLEGE OF TEACHERS #505319 Visual Art- Senior and Intermediate, ESL, Health & P.E., 2006-Present
- IB DP VA Cat 3 ‘Emerging Media’ Oxford, UK, 2018
- EDTECH Summits, Shenzhen, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ARWAE Conference, Hong Kong International School, September 2018
- EARCOS Leadership Conferences, Fall 2016, 2017
- EARCOS Teacher Conferences, Spring 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- IB DP Cat 2, Visual Arts, SCIS, Shanghai, 2015
- IB DP Cat 1, Visual Arts, Tanglin Trust, Singapore 2012
- ABQ, ESL1, Physical Education1, York University, 2010
Scroll to bottom to view slideshow of education and PD certificates
- ‘The Great Art Thrown Down’ EARCOS Teaching Conference, May 2019
- ‘Be the Next King of Pirates’, PechaKucha Shenzhen, May 2019
- ‘Unpacking Assessment Criteria’, ARWAE, September 2018
- ‘Assessing Rubrics’ YCIS, Qingdao, March 2016
- Mindfulness in the Art Classroom’ EARCOS Teaching Conference, May 2015
- ‘Designing Classroom Spaces’, ISE, Thailand, February 2015
- Visual Art IB DP Share-Out, NIST, Thailand, May 2015
- ‘Innovation in Teaching’, Teacher Training Institute, PPPPTK, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2012
- ‘Making an Impact (IGCSE Share)’, SGS, Singapore, 2012
SHEKOU INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (SIS) Secondary Art Teacher (August 2017-Present) Shenzhen, China. Principal: Mike Livingston
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of Visual Arts classes (Grade 6-12) following the guidelines set out the SIS Art Curriculum (developed in September 2017) and the IB DP VA Curriculum (2016)
- Organized the planning, marketing and setup of IB DP Art Gallery and MS/HS Art Show as well as school Art Displays and various marketing opportunities such as art display in the community, art totes and various postcards and space design.
- Designed new Digital Art curriculum and teaching materials alongside traditional art materials for my colleagues within the art department.
- Instituted school-wide Photo Contests (MS/HS) and Art Contest (MS/HS) to promote art interest throughout the school.
- Created an ExtraCurricular Arts Programme for Art ESA
- Team Lead for Grade 10 Week Without Walls Trips to Lijiang, China
- Student Advisor for Grade 9 Fire, 10 Water Advisory Classes
- Developed and executed learning excursions in Shenzhen and HK for art students
- Member of SIT Team – IB DP Development
- Founding member of Shenzhen International School Art Teacher’s group; organizing joint art contests, mock exhibitions for IB DP students and weekend workshops for art students.
- Presented workshops on IB DP Art strategies for art teachers at ARWAE 2018 and created a blog (ibdpvawithmissa) to assist IB art students to attain greater success.
- Developed ‘Pop Art Challenges’ in HS art and presented this strategy (‘The Great Art Throwdown’) highlighting the value of creative pressure at EARCOS Teacher Conference 2019
- Art Blog: http://share.sis.org.cn/aatki1/
Click here to view student portfolios and highlights from SIS
YEW CHUNG INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL QINGDAO (YCIS) Head of Humanities Department, Art Teacher (August 2015-Present) Qingdao, China. Principal: Jeroen Gakes
- HOD Duties for the Humanities Department (Art, Music, Economics, History, World Studies, TOK)
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of Visual Arts classrooms (Y1-Y12) following the guidelines set out in the YCIS Curriculum as well as guiding students through the IGCSE Art Course (Y10-Y11) and IB DP (Y12 – Y13)
- Organized the planning, marketing and setup of IB DP Art Gallery and MS/HS Art Show as well as school Art Displays within the school
- Form Tutor for Y10
- Committee Member of IB Accreditation Team, CIS Accreditation Team and Leadership Team
- Student Advisor for Secondary Student Council (Tuck Shop, Lunch Survey, Non-Uniform Days, School Functions)
- Developed and executed learning excursions to Shanghai and HK for art and STEAM students
- Instituted school-wide Photo Contests (MS/HS) and Art Contests (MS/HS) to promote art interest throughout the school. Working with past students at ISE, we developed a joint Art Contest between ISE Thailand and YCIS Qingdao to promote cultural sharing and international communication.
- Coach: Upper Secondary/Lower Secondary Girls Basketball
- Art Blog: www.ycisqdvisualart.wordpress.com
Click here to view student portfolios and highlights from YCIS
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL EASTERN SEABOARD (ISE) Middle and Secondary Teacher (Visual Art) (August 2013-2015) Chonburi, Thailand. Principal: Dr. Robert Brewitt
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of Visual Arts classrooms (7-12) following the guidelines set out in the ISE Secondary Curriculum as well as guiding IB DP students through their 2 year IB Visual Art course.
- Committee Member of Assessment Team responsible for ensuring consistent practices and implantation of successful strategies across the Secondary School
- ARTS Committee Member for MRISA Cultural Exchange responsible for the organization, planning and hosting 5 International Schools for collaborative ARTS workshops.
- Instituted school-wide Photo Contests (MS/HS) and Art Contests (MS/HS) to promote art interest throughout the school.
- Developed strategies of mindfulness in classroom design using Feng Shui and presented strategies for teachers (‘Mindfulness in the Art Classroom’) at EARCOS Teacher Conference 2017
- Organized the planning, marketing and setup of IB DP Art Gallery and MS/HS Art Show as well as school Art Displays
- Worked alongside ISE’s CEO and our maintenance team to redesign the first floor of the ISE campus within the Beautification Project as well as developing various marketing opportunities such as schoolwide billboard displays, magazine advertisements, art display in the community and various postcards
- Founding member of Pattaya International School Art Teacher’s group; organizing our first annual joint IB DP art exhibitions as well as joining other Thailand art teachers in the first annual IB DP art teacher share out at NIST, May 2015
- Coach: Senior Basketball, Assistant Coach: Junior Basketball, Swim Team
Click here to view student portfolios and highlights at ISE.
SERANGOON GARDENS (SGS) MOE Secondary Teacher (Visual Art, English) and Subject Co-ordinator: (Visual Art) (September 2011-August 2013) Serangoon Gardens, Singapore. Principal: Ng Chee Kheong
- Responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of Visual Arts and English classes following the guidelines set out in the MOE Secondary Curriculum in conjunction with Cambridge University.
- Head of a team of 3 Art Teachers, ensuring a cohesive, creative learning environment is developed both for teachers and students. Instituted a new system based on tenets of UBD, creating a cohesive Syllabus and Rubrics for both LS and US to synchronize Art Department while implementing SOVA as well as Fine Art skills
- Responsible for teaching all Upper Secondary Classes (Visual Art) for successful completion of N(A) and O Level Cambridge Art Exams with a 60% Distinction and 100% Success Rate for 2012 and 2013.
- Awarded ‘Inspiring Teacher Award’ for the 2012 school year.
- Sub-Committee Leader heading a team of 6 for Enrichment Based Activities for 4ARTS@SGS, Sub Committee Leader for Arts Publicity and Awareness
- Sub-Committee Leader for ‘Physical Space Project’ responsible for school decoration, website and Art Gallery development.
- Committee Member representing the Aesthetics Department for the Innovation Committee
- Named ‘Teacher-Researcher’ and awarded Research Grant by MOE to organize and undertake a Research Experiment promoting Flipped Learning with the SOVA Art Platform.
- Badminton CCA, Supervising Teacher
- Organizer of Arts CIP projects including Teacher’s Sharing Workshops, VIP at the Esplanade and a Mural Project with Serangoon Community Centre
- Member of 4 Teacher envoy from Singapore to PPPPTK Seni dan Budaya (Teacher Training Institute) in Yogyakarta to introduce Indonesian English teachers to innovative techniques and education concepts dealing with IT, Classroom Management and Assessment.
Click here to view student work portfolios and highlights from SGS.
During my tenure at SGS, I was selected to be a member of 4 Teacher envoy from Singapore to PPPPTK Seni dan Budaya (Teacher Training Institute) in Yogyakarta to introduce Indonesian English teachers to innovative techniques and education concepts dealing with IT, Classroom Management and Assessment.
Click here to view highlights of PPPPTK.
BARRIE CENTRAL COLLEGIATE (BCC) SCDSB Secondary Teacher: Visual Arts, English (February 2008-Present) Barrie, Canada. Principal: Russell Atkinson
- Responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluation of Visual Arts and English classes following the guidelines set out in the Ontario Secondary Curriculum.
- Created an innovative XPL program for Grade 9 At-Risk Students combining English with Active Learning in an attempt to motivate students’ learning, improve attendance as well as enhance creativity and self expression.
- Supported artistic students by providing opportunities to develop confidence and creativity by showcasing their work through an Annual Art Contest, Arts Night and the creation of the Arts Website (barriecentralarts.com)
- Set Designer for Central’s Cinderella, being awarded ‘Excellence Award for Set Design’ by the Festival of High School Musicals, 2010.
- Teacher Advisor for Arts Council (Paint-a-thon, Coffee House, Library Unplugged, Dancing with the Teachers, Arts Night), Anime Club, Studio Arts Club, Student Newspaper and Graphix T-Shirt Club (2009, 2010, 2011)
- Member of Literacy Committee and Literacy Mentor/Coach for OSSLT (2010, 2011)
- Taught TIPS afterschool program to prepare students to write the OSSLT (2010, 2011)
- EQAO OSSLT Marking Supervisor (Short Reading, April 2011) and Marker (Long Writing, April 2010)
Click here for portfolios of student work and highlights from BCC.
ELS School EAL Teacher (September 2007-February 2008, Summers 2008-2011) Toronto, Canada. Supervisor: Tracey Vanderhoek
- Facilitated ESL learning for International Adult Students studying an Intensive ELS curriculum
- Taught Grammar, Conversation, Reading, Writing, TOEIC, and Business English from beginner to advanced.
Click here for more info on my experience at ELS Toronto.
CHOI WAN ST JOSEPH’S HK EMB Native English Teacher (NET) Teacher (September 2006-August 2007) Hong Kong Supervisor: Grace Mann
- Taught English classes (grades 1-6 ) with a focus on literacy and reading comprehension.
- Planned and Implemented a Visual Art program (grades 1-6) to a select group of English Based Learners
- Coached local Hong Kong teachers to effectively foster learning in an ESL Environment.
- Organized an English Enhancement ‘Lunch Bunch’ Programme for advanced students
- Developed “The Question of the Week” and a school wide poster campaign throughout the school year to inspire English learning.
- Worked closely with the English Advisory Panel with review and development of the English curriculum.
Click here for more info on my experience at Choi Wan HK.
STUDENT ART GUIDE IB DP Visual Art Tutor (Online/Skype) (2017 – Present)
- Represented through Student Art Guide
IBEN DP Visual Art Examiner (2015 – Present)
- DP Extended Essay – Visual Arts, May 2017 – Present
- DP HL Comparative Study, May 2016 – Present
- DP HL/SL Investigation Workbook, May 2015
ONTARIO EQAO OSSLT Marking Supervisor (2010-2012) Toronto, Canada
- Short Reading Submissions, Marker, 2010
- Long Writing Submissions, Marking Supervisor, 2011, 2012
TEAMVEST INC. Web Developer(2001-2002) Charlotte, NC, USA. Supervisor: Brian Smith
- Integrated into the Newport Group (June, 2003)
- Member of the Technical Development Team which created a 401K Advisor and company website using JAVA, XML, and web technologies
- Personally responsible for front end development and content of TeamVest company website.
DECISION CONSULTANTS INC (DCI) Web Developer (1999-2001) Various Cities, USA. Supervisor: Stephanie Virgil
- Amalgamated into CIBER Inc. (April, 2002)
- HTML Developer at IBM Web Development Center, RTP, NC,
- Web Developer at DCI eBusiness Center of Excellence (eBIz), Raleigh, NC
- UNIX Support at IBM AIX RS/6000 Support Centre, Austin, TX
ORILLIA PARKS AND RECREATION Waterfront Director (1987-1995) Orillia, Canada. Supervisor: Ray Merkley
- Responsible for 12 lifeguard/instructors and the supervision of Orillia Beaches (Couchiching and Moose).
- Managed lifesaving classes, lifeguard schedules, staff evaluations and staff training
- Taught swimming classes from Turtles to Bronze Cross.
- Developed a mandatory weekly fitness program and founded the (now) annual ‘Moose to Couch’ swim.
- Certified with NLS (National Lifesaving Service – 1987-98), Award of Merit (1988-98), Distinction (1989-98) Instructors(1988-98) from the Royal Lifesaving Society of Canada as well as St. John’s First Aid Certificate (1987-2005).
- ‘Treasure’, ISZAF Gallery, Shenzhen, China September 2019
- ‘AIC – International Art Exchange’, Art & Harmony Gallery Shenzhen, China, March 2019
- ‘The 8th AIC Shenzhen City Art Fair’, Shenzhen, China, March 2019
- ISZAF Art Show ‘Call and Response’, May, 2018. Jardin Orange Gallery, Shenzhen, China
- ‘Starry Night’, Zephyr Gallery, Orillia, Ontario 2011
- ’10 Year Anniversary Show’ Zephyr Gallery, Orillia, Ontario, 2011
- V-Day Charity Art Show and Auction, March 2007. Karin Weber Gallery, Soho, Hong Kong
- Faces of Asia, Gallery Show, April, 2007, The Fringe Gallery, Soho, Hong Kong
- ‘Local Faces’ Zephyr Gallery, Orillia, Ontario 2009
- ‘Spring Winds’, Zephyr Gallery, Orillia, Ontario, 2004